Monday 29 March 2010

Packing Bags, Part 2

Last of my packing list....


DAYSACK

My first choice for a rucksack would have always been a Karrimor, having used a 'Hot Ice 30' for many years when I was in the military and when travelling Asia.  However, the quality and construction of Karrimor rucksacks seems to have changed a great deal in recent years (the company was bought out), and when looking at their products I don't get that 'industructable' vibe any more.  The other main options were Berghaus (£££), Osprey (£££££) and Lowe Alpine (£££), who all make very good bags in to the 35-45 litre range.  I spent a lot of time 'lurking' on Ebay and hoped to get one of these bags for cheap, but sadly time was against me.  In the end,  I opted for a brand that I knew nothing about, except for it having a good reputation amongst the Alpine Endurance racing community.  To be honest, my main reason for choosing this bag was because it was being sold, new, at about 1/3rd the RRP, and it had good online reviews.



OMM (Original Mountain Marathon) - The Villain 45+10 RL MSC

Described as an 'advanced mountaineering pack, I was shocked by how lightweight this rucksack was.  At less than 1kg, there really seemed to be nothing to the bag, and I am currently a little doubtful of how rugged it will prove to be.  However, it is highly regarded, so I hope to be surprised.  After all, the RL in its name does stand for 'Rugged Light'.

It is a single compartment bag, with a drawcord/snowlock at the top for access.  This will work perfectly for keeping sand and dust out of the bag.  There is an access zip on one side, that would be useful for drinking bladders/tubes etc.  The bag can be compresed with a 'Naase Cord' that  wraps around the torso.  It also has two mesh pouches on the side for holding drinks bottles and a further two (useful) zipped pockets on the hip belt.

Only time will tell how 'rugged' this bag will prove to be.  I am sure it will be thrown off a few helicopters over the coming year, be dragged or kicked in the sand...and be an occasional pillow. We shall see if the 'RL'  designation is deserved.


TORCH

I've always used Maglight torches in the past, and they do a decent job at a reasonable cost.  However, I really wanted to get a good LED torch this time, and the Maglight AA LED torch was difficult to source.  My first choice of new torch would have been  the excellent 'Surefire' brand, but the cost of these was excessive in the UK.  My local outdoors shop was having a sale and I managed to get a half-price LED Lenser P5 torch which has really impressed me.


LED Lenser P5

As soon as I tried this torch, I was extremely impressed.  At less than £20 (on sale), it delivers a powerful focused beam (95.5 lumens) that seems bright even during daylight.

It is lightweight, small size and the LED techology allows it to be powered by a single AA battery (3 hours life).

Perfect for anything I may require of it.  The 'Surefire' will have to wait for another day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Arc'teryx day sacks.

    The pack looks cool - presumably it's so light as it has no internal frame though, which might make it a bit more wearing on the spine with heavy loads. Will be keen to see how you get on with it, as I've never found a pack that is 'just right' - always a bit of an awkward fit, or awkward to pack, or not properly balanced, etc.

    I've tried the P5 - tidy. The new Mag-LEDs are pretty good too. I have an older Inova X5 titanium - utterly bomb proof, and bright enough, but might be worth upgrading the LEDs (newer ones are much more powerful). I daresay you'll let us know how you get on with it in the field.

    I envy you - I love choosing new kit. Makes me want to travel somewhere so I have an excuse to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    This is a great torch http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12325. I have two that I use for mountain biking and other outdoor stuff. The beam is amazing and easily matches that of bike specific systems that cost 10x the price. The lithium batteries also hold their charge for months without recharging.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete