Friday 19 March 2010

New Pastures...

Welcome to my new blog!

I'm away to new (ish) pastures, and I intend to record my thoughts as the coming months will bring me new experiences living and working in a very rarely travelled country...Afghanistan.

After several weeks of extreme long-distance telephone interviews, form filling, scanning documents, emailing attachments and security vetting questionnaires, I recieved the congratulatory email today... I am offered the contract as HR Operations Manager for a major international  company, that specializes in supporting military opperations world-wide.  It's a great job, great salary (tax free) and a great opportunity to save money - because I will be living and working on a NATO base in Afghanistan for the next 12 months. 

Luckily, I have previous experience of these conditions, from my time in the Royal Air Force, so  I am getting myself mentally prepared again for the heat, dust and complete lack of recreational stimulus over a prolonged period.  I am drawing up a shopping list (no more military issue freebies) and putting on lots of weight as the natural tendancy to squeeze in as much 'good living' asserts itself in my remaining few weeks in the 'real world'.

Curry night in Derby.....day-dreaming of the coming year eating military canteen food.

1 comment: